The UPSC Combined Geo-Scientist Exam is a national-level entrance examination that is organized by the Union Public Service Commission every year. The motive behind the commencement of this examination is to appoint the eligible candidate for the post of Category I – Geologist, Junior Hydrologist, Geophysicist, and Chemist under the central government. Check here for details for UPSC Geo-Scientist 2024 Notification.
It is a national-level competitive examination that consists of a three-tier Preliminary, Mains, and Personality test/ Interview exam. All the eligible candidates who wish to apply for this exam should visit the official website of UPSC. Likewise, the application form for the same will be released on the authorized web portal of UPSC only. Candidates are advised to go through the exam pattern and syllabus of the UPSC Geo-Scientist Exam before appearing for the exam. It is one of the toughest national-level competitive examinations in India which is hard to crack.
UPSC Geo-Scientist 2024 Highlights
|Exam Name||Combined Geo-scientist and Geologist Exam 2024|
|Exam Level||National Level|
|Exam conducting authority||Union Public Service Commission (UPSC)|
|Exam occurrence||Once a year|
|No. of Vacancies||Announced Soon|
|Job Location||PAN India|
|Selection Criteria||Written Exam and Personal Interview|
UPSC Geo-Scientist 2024 Important Dates
|Release of Official Notification and application form||4th week of September 2024|
|Last Date for Applying Online||2nd week of October 2024|
|Admit Card (Prelims Exam)||1st week of February 2024|
|Exam Date||3rd week of February 2024|
|UPSC Geo-Scientist Prelims Admit Card||June 2024|
|UPSC Geo-Scientist Mains Exam||4th week of June 2024|
|Results Announcement||June 2024|
|UPSC Geo-Scientist Interview Date||Notify Soon|
|Final Announcement of Result||Notify Soon|
- Nationality: A contender must be an Indian citizen or else a refugee from Bhutan, Nepal, or Tibet migrant who arrived in India before 1-1-1962. Or the applicant of Indian origin migrated from Sri Lanka, Burma, Pakistan or East African countries.
- Academic Qualification: Candidates who have passed post-graduation from some recognized university or institution are eligible to apply.
- Age Limit: Age criteria will be followed according to the norms of UPSC.
UPSC Geo-Scientist 2024 Application Form
- Visit the authorized web portal of UPSC – www.upsconline.nic.in.
- On the homepage of the UPSC website, you will see the link for Online Application for Various Examinations of UPSC, click on the same.
- Apply for the Combined Geo-Scientist Pre Examination.
- Do the registration by filling in all the required details like name, nationality, community, and more.
- Choose the center for the exam.
- Now log in using your credentials and complete your application form by providing the remaining details and proceed with the documents uploading like scanned images and photographs in the application form.
- Submit the documents and proceed with the application fee payment and pay your amount of application fees online through any available options.
- After successful payment of the application fee and submission of the form, take a printout of the application form along with the fee payment receipt for additional references.
|Other Backward Classes (OBC)||INR 200|
|SC/ ST/ PwBD / Women||Exempted|
The exam pattern for UPSC GEOSCIENTIST 2024 involves three stages:
- 1st Stage: Preliminary Examination (Computer Based Objective Type Papers). This paper involves total of 400 Marks.
- 2nd Stage: Mains Examination (Descriptive type paper). This paper consists of total of 600 Marks.
- 3rd Stage: Personal Interview ( Personality Test). This paper will be for total of 200 Marks.
Note- The Prelims Examination involves 2 papers holding objective-type questions and the Main Exam comprises of 3 papers with descriptive-type questions.
Prelims Exam Pattern
- Mode of Exam: Online Mode (Computer Based Test Exam)
- Type of Questions: Objective Type Questions (MCQs)
- No. of Papers Two: (Paper 1 and Paper 2)
- Total Weightage: 150 Marks (1 mark per question)
- Duration of Exam: 2 hours per paper
- Negative Marking Criteria: Negative Marking will be there
|One||General Studies||Geologist & Jr. Hydrogeologist||100|
Mains Exam Pattern
- Mode of Exam: Offline Mode (Written Pen and Paper Exam)
- Type of Questions: Descriptive Questions
- No. of Papers: 3 (Paper I, Paper-II, and Paper III)
- Duration of Exam: Each paper gets 3 hours
|General English||For all posts||100||180 Minutes|
|Geology Paper I||Geologists||200||180 Minutes|
|Geology Paper II||200||180 Minutes|
|Geology Paper III||200||180 Minutes|
|Geophysics Paper I||Geophysicist||200||180 Minutes|
|Geophysics Paper II||200||180 Minutes|
|Geophysics Paper III||200||180 Minutes|
|Chemistry Paper I||Chemist||200||180 Minutes|
|Chemistry Paper II||200||180 Minutes|
|Chemistry Paper III||200||180 Minutes|
|Geology Paper I||Jr. Hydrogeologist||200||180 Minutes|
|Geology Paper II||200||180 Minutes|
The last stage i.e. 3rd stage is called Personality Test. It will be for 200 marks. However, a personality test does not involve any minimum qualifying marks. The aspirants will be assessed in the interview by the board which judges the suitability for the posts the candidate has applied for. The board will evaluate the candidate’s leadership capacity, tact, mental and physical energy, social qualities, aptitude, etc. The board will consider the marks obtained by the entrant in the Personality Test.
UPSC GEOSCIENTIST 2024 Result will be accessible separately on the official website of UPSC by the board. The candidates who clear the preliminary exam will appear for the main exam followed by the personality test/ interview. After conducting all three stages, the board will declare the final result of the candidates.